Thursday, December 11, 2014

Critic’s Notebook



Me: So Michiko, I saw that article you wrote about me… don’t you feel like this generalization was a little bit rude? I certainly felt that it was untrue.

Kakutani: First of all I would like to point out that I wrote this article in response to your generation’s behavior.  You don’t need to take the things I said personally.

Me: Okay well you said in your article that my generation doesn’t like being challenged. That’s ridiculous. I take a bunch of hard classes and I have chosen to put myself through these hardships to become a better person.

Kakutani: Don’t take what I wrote out of context. I wrote, “Students are interested in hearing another person’s point of view, but not interested in engaging it, in challenging it, or being challenged.” This is not to say that you don’t strive to be a more intellectual person but that it is incredibly uncomfortable when your ethics are questioned. Is it not true that you would rather talk about things that everyone is bound to agree with?

Me: I mean I guess but…

 Kakutani: But what? Engaging in an argument is a way for you to express your feelings, come away with new ideas, or just learn more about the world around you. Your generation sees such discussion as a form of bullying, wouldn’t you agree?

Me: What about the Queer movement, what about the current wave of feminism? Those are things my generation supports.

Kakutani: Ah hah! That is exactly my point. Your generation as a whole supports those things but then disallows for those who oppose those things to be heard.

Me: …uh well… isn’t it good that we don't listen to haters? They shouldn’t have room to speak.

Kakutani: Not exactly. When you oppress any argument, you stop growth. This is how dictators come to power.

Me: That sounds so far fetched.

Kakutani: Ever heard of Hitler?

Me: ...yeah okay I get it.

Kakutani: So now do you see why your generation needs to engage? We all come from different backgrounds. Each person has a story. It is not just society's duty to listen but also question. Your generation can make the world a better place if you could peacefully debate ideas without feeling embarrassed or "judged."

Me: But how can I start being better than my peers?

Kakutani: It's not that you should be better than your peers. Start small like asking tough questions in class. Then when you've formulated an opinion about one thing or another stand firm with your idea unless evidence takes you in another direction.

Me: Wow you know maybe my generation could learn a few thins from you... Thanks for letting me lose this argument.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment