Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Stop Glamorizing my Psychiatric Disorders




 

Well this pisses me off.... it’s amusing that parts of society have no clue how offensive they’re being. I would love to know what this designer is trying to say but alas I can only guess. Most likely this glorification of prescription drugs wasn’t a message directed towards people like me. These shirts appeal to so many young people because they don’t know how to say “Fuck you” to society. The shirts say, “This is my body, I’ll do what I want with it. No one can tell me what to do.” It must make people feel cool to ignore the impact they have on others. No one messes with the kid who sells pills. The kind of person who would wear this shirt most likely believes this argument makes them more grown up-more respected by his or her peers.


These shirts even argue that teens are so ignorant they will spend fifty bucks for a t-shirt to fit in with the cool crowd. Put some controversial crap on clothing and it will sell like crazy.

But what these shirts say to me is something completely different… I’ll come right out and say it, I’ve been addicted to pain medicine. After three ACL/Meniscus surgeries you learn to like the stuff too much. Having Major Depressive Disorder probably doesn’t help either… Vicodin isn’t something to mess around with. It may look cool when on the back of a T-shirt but when withdrawal has you shaking, vomiting, and experiencing extreme anxiety attacks it’s more like hell and looks a lot less “edgy.”

My ADHD prevents me from learning at the same rate as my peers. People abuse the medicine I need in order to function. Adderall is not just a substitute for caffeine. Adderall is a legitimate psychiatric drug designed to keep my wandering mind clear and focused.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder is real. I have been diagnosed with GAD and panic attacks so yeah I have to take benzos similar to Xanax.

To me these shirts marginalize my situation. When adults see these shirts, some immediately associate the use of prescription drugs to bad behavior. They see ME as a “bad kid.” Because of these shirts, (and other portrayals in the media) other adults think that there are no legitimate uses for these drugs-that disorders of the mind do not even exist. These shirts make drugs cool by implying that deep and interesting people have mental health issues.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment