Sunday, January 18, 2015

Real Feelings About My "Electronic Imprint"


                                http://merlinuward.com

I do not have a Facebook feed
There is no twitter that I need
No one writes about me
They are indifferent about what they see
This blog is my only electronic outlet
I do not need to be found on the internet

In this place I am forced to write
Theses blog-posts every day and night
So here it might apear to you
That I'm some freak that snorts glue

Quite honestly all that I will find
When I look myself up online
Is the high school honor roll
and that shit really took its toll

Yeah so I don't have any sort of social media thingy besides this blog and I kind of hate it because some day I will look back and think to myself, "Why the hell did I post things on the internet?'' then I will fondly remember because it was some assignment for my honors class.
I will remember what an asshole I was-hopefully it's just a phase- and feel awful bad about the inappropriate language and sarcasm I so freely slung around.
I can't identify with any major polical/social groups.Simply because i don't give a fuck what other people do if it doesn't effect me.
http://hotmeme.net/page/8203/

4 comments:

  1. Rachel, I really like that you went with a different and creative form of writing for this blog post! Even though I can sense your frustration with social media and what you put out on the internet, I think that's very telling. Many people would identify with your frustration, and say that leaving barely any e-footprints is the better route to take! Not only are you preventing future employers from seeing your childhood shenanigans, but you're in general forcing people to take the time to get to know you for the real you, not some false online version of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel
    I really like your post and how you wrote it. I completely understand your frustration about even having an electronic imprint.Sometimes you just need a place where no one knows you and there's no trace of you anywhere. And when you have no online identity it really does force people to get to know you, like Claire said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For all intents and purposes we have no reason to believe that what we do online can really be scrubbed away. Even if there comes a time it can be legally done(here's looking at you Europe and Google) chances are the people who remove your traces on the internet can simply back up all the deleted information in their own servers or databases. When the internet can't forget, someone probably can't forgive. It stands to reason that you should control what you can, and anything that you can't control is the fallout of something in the real world.
    It all ends up falling back on your own awareness of your life, of who you are and what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I really live in a world where, "When the internet can't forget, someone probably can't forgive," I'd rather not live in that world at all. When you said, "It all ends up falling back on your own awareness of your life, of who you are and what you are doing," I sensed a lot of hostility... Maybe this is just another example of people hiding behind their computers or maybe it is just a misunderstanding. Misunderstandings happen often when we are forced to write blog posts describing our intimate lives simply for a college course.

      Delete